Saturday, October 18, 2014

Fun with Figurative Language

This past week was ALL ABOUT figurative language (similes, metaphors, hyperboles, personification, onomatopoeias, oxymorons, and idioms). Throughout the week, we discussed figurative language, watched videos, analyzed Robert Frost's poem "Walking in the Woods on a Snowy Evening" and analyzed "Gold" by Britt Nicole. This song has such a great message, and my students loved finding figurative language in it. I heard quite a few times, "Can we listen to that again?" Here's the video I used with the lyrics.
While searching for fun activities to do with idioms (yes, you know I was on Pinterest), I found an exciting activity on "Head Over Heels for Teaching's blog." I decided to give it a try.

For homework, students were to bring in an idiom. They could create it, draw the idiom, bring objects in, or act it out. First, I put a picture of my cat in a bag and pulled it out several times. They got it! "You let the cat out of the bag!"

Let the fun begin! We had so many creative idioms brought in. I truly think idioms will be memorable in their minds for quite some time. See some creative examples below.

Early bird gets the worm

When pigs fly

Apple of my eye
A little birdie told me




Kicked the bucket

Put a sock in it & One foot in the grave


Figurative language has been a blast! Can't wait until we spiral around to it again!

Blessings and happy teaching,


No comments:

Post a Comment