Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Today's Golden Nugget From Teach Like a Pirate

As I awake this morning, I'm still pondering on yesterday's incredible presentation at our district's convocation. We were fortunate enough to have Dave Burgess (author of Teach Like a Pirate) speak to us.  Oh my goodness, the energy in the room was turned up to the highest notch possible. What an incredible speaker, and teacher, this man is. It made me intrinsically wish that I could morph back to my teenage years and be a student in his classroom. Those students are extremely lucky!

Well, don't we all want OUR students to be thinking the same thing about us? We want them to feel that they are lucky to be in our classrooms.

Over the next week, I'll be sharing"golden nuggets" that I learned from this awe-inspiring presentation.

Today's "Golden Nugget" - Incorporate your passions into your classroom. If you're passionate about sports, animals, magic, etc., figure out a way to integrate that passion into your lessons or the products you have your students complete. Once you "tap into this, you'll feel the power surge through your soul." Your job will now be a fun, exciting place to go to, not a boring, mundane place you HAVE to go to. Not only will it be a place where YOU want to be but, more importantly, your classroom will be a place where your students want to be.
 

****Ideas are from the book that I HIGHLY recommend: Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess #tlap #teachlikeapirate

 P.S. Might I add that I was ecstatic to get my picture with this fabulous speaker, author, and teacher!
Yes, he's really that tall, and I'm really that short! Ha!

Me and Dave Burgess, Author of Teach Like a Pirate
 Blessings and happy teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment